Monday, July 25, 2011

Don't give him your time

I was having an IM conversation with a special friend this morning.  He is the man that taught me what it is like to be truly loved by someone.

He and I have both have had a really hard time finding someone else who could replace the connection that we shared for the year we were together.

I figured he had found someone lately because I haven't heard from him in about a month.  That generally means he has started a new relationship and it is good.

So today we finally connected again, and sure enough.  He has found a girl that he thinks he might be able to love as much as he loved me.

I am so very happy for him.  He deserves that kind of happiness.  And I expect he will bring her great joy too because he is an incredible man.

I want to share something he said to me this morning.  He knows about my long time struggle with BF and his lack of commitment to a future with me.  So in our conversation today he said these most poignant words...

"Lisa, please don't give him any more of your time.  If he can't appreciate what he's had, he doesn't deserve any more."
I just loved that statement.

It meant so much coming from a man who treasured every minute he had with me.  He treated me like a queen every minute of every day.

He knows what he is talking about.

I am going to really think about those words. 

I know it is true in my heart, and I have heard the same message from so many other people.  But it is amazing how the words resound when they come from someone who loves you as much as I know he still loves me.

2 comments:

A Life Being Lived said...

You definitely deserve all the happiness in the world, and a partner that will cross bridges and slay dragons to keep you by his side :) That said I completely understand how hard it is to let go, or reevaluate a relationship(especially when you've put a lot of time and effort into it). It's always nice to receive that affirmation from an amazing friend or a former partner. Glad he shared that with you today!

Anonymous said...

I agree - you deserve to be treated like the Queen that you are. Isn't it funny how it depends on 'who' says it and 'how' that one person that you can really 'hear' makes such a difference.